Attorney Larry Fleurantin chairs the Appellate Practice for the firm
Appellate law is a distinct practice area requiring knowledge and experience in applying the Rules of Appellate Procedure at the state and federal levels. Appeals are complicated. In fact, perfecting an appeal requires the knowledge and experience of an appellate attorney to navigate through the process of timely filing the notice of appeal, preparing the record, filing the briefs, and participating in oral argument. For example, a party will waive one's right to pursue an appeal if he or she fails to timely file his or her notice of appeal within 30 days from the rendition of a final judgment. Appellate courts apply certain specific standards to review the issues on appeal. Winning an appeal sometimes depends on which standard the appellate court applies. A party whose appeal is reviewed de novo has a much better chance to be successful than a party whose appeal is reviewed for abuse of discretion or for substantial and competent evidence. Consequently, if you win at trial and want to preserve your win, or if you have an adverse decision you want to appeal, we are the ones to call because we have years of experience researching, briefing and orally arguing cases at the appellate level. We offer complete representation including brief writing & oral argument in civil, criminal, family, and administrative appeals. We can serve as lead or co-counsel.
The firm has experience representing individuals and corporations on appeal in state and federal courts. The firm’s appellate litigation portfolio is overflowing with accomplishments. In particular, many of the firm's appeals have resulted in published opinions. To read some of the reported opinions, please click the link on the case name below.
- Luscar v. U.S. Bank Trust Nat'l Ass'n., 271 So. 3d. 104 (Fla. 3d DCA Feb. 27, 2019) (won reversal).
- Brussot v. Brussot, 214 So. 3d 796 (Fla. 4th DCA 2017) (won reversal).
- Lucien v. Bienaime, 138 So. 3d 1041 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014) (won affirmance)
- Cazi v. Prophete, 130 So. 3d 723 (Fla. 3d DCA 2014) (won reversal).
- Hopka v. SunTrust Bank, 121 So. 3d 88 (Fla. 3d DCA 2013).
- Incarnacion v.Thomas, Berrouet et al., 88 So. 3d 246 (Fla. 3d DCA 2011) (won reversal).
- Diedrick-Clarke v. Washington Mutual Bank, 73 So. 3d 814 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011) (won reversal).
- Edmond v. University of Miami, 441 Fed. Appx. 721 (11th Cir. 2011).
- Hunt v. Ambassador Seasonal Concepts, No. 2009 AP 12 (Fla. 2nd Cir. Ct. 2010) (won reversal).
- Louis v. U.S. Attorney General, 384 Fed. Appx. 965 (11th Cir. 2010).
- Hyppolite v. U.S. Attorney General, 389 Fed. Appx. 875 (11th Cir. 2010).
- Alcidonis v. U.S. Attorney Gen., No. 09-15166-FF (11th Cir. May 12, 2010) (remanded BIA's order).
- Brutus v. U.S. Attorney General, 366 Fed. Appx. 107 (11th Cir. 2010).
- Frye v. Miami-Dade County, 2 So. 3d 1063 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009) (affirmance of lower court's decision).
- Salomon v. Guralnick, 5 So. 3d 683 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009) (affirmance of lower court's decision).
- Morose v. U.S. Attorney General, 356 F. Appx 295 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Alvarez v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co., 16 Fla. Supp. 140 (Fla. 11th Cir. Ct. 2008).
- Baptiste v. Baptiste, 992 So. 2d 374 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008) (won reversal).
- Boby Express Co. v. Guerin, 930 So. 2d 842 (Fla. 3d DCA 2006) (cert pertition granted in favor of our client Boby Express).
- Georges v. U.S. Attorney Gen., No. 05-12163-DD (11th Cir. Nov. 07, 2005) (remanded BIA's order).
- Hyppolite v. Taco Bell Corp., 153 Fed. Appx. 206 (11th Cir. 2005) (affirmed district court's decision after trial; Larry Fleurantin orally argued case for Appellant before U.S. 11th Circuit).